2007/11/13

Watching a movie where well-known actors!!! From Robin Williams, Gene Hackman to Nathan LAne and Dianne Wiest. This comedy is wonderful:) you should watch it:)
Its story is also a magnificant one:) It is different from the usual ones...The story revolves around the lives of two families, the Goldmans and the Keeleys. Robin Williams and Nathan Lane play Armand and Albert Goldman, owners of the Birdcage, a drag nightclub, while Gene Hackman and Dianne Wiest are Senator and Mrs Keeley, believers in the sort of conservatism. These two families are actually different from each other very much. Because, Goldmands (Albert and Arman) have a gay relationship. At the beginning of the movie, I could not understand this realationship. Although I recognized that Albert was envy of Armand, I could not give any meaning to that. Nevertheless, when I saw the scene on which Armand and his son take place, I understood that. The story becomes very intereseting after that point.

Because on that scene, Val explains something which makes the two families to come together. That is the two families collide when their children Val and Barbara decide to get married. Barbara needs to convince her Senator father that the marriage is the right thing despite the fact that she's only 18. He is initially reluctant as he's too busy planning his re-election. Nevertheless, circumstances change. And he begins to believe that the only way to save his political career is to be seen doing something good. By being affected by the comments of his wife, the Senator takes the decision of allowing his daughter to marry. Because, marriage is the seymbol of inocence. It is a good way of gaining the faith of public. Then, Barbara tells this to Val.

But, there is a big problem. That is because Barbara's father and mother decide to come Val's home. Actually, there is a reason for that but I could not get it. Although I watched that part three times, the pronounciation of the some words were not familiar with me. Therefore, what I could understand is one of the friends of the Senator was dead. And he was found in a bed. After this point, there were comments of the Senator and his wife about the issue, and these were the things that I could not understand.

If I continue telling the story... After learning that Barbara and her familiy are coming to his some, Val panics and enlists the help of his dads in an attempt to make them look like a normal family for one day as the Keeleys come to visit. ...

The scenes after this are very enjoyable. I laughed, laughed and laughed:) It is really and really wonderful:) Especially, I want to talk about the servant of Goldmans'. He is so much comic that you cannot see him in a serious atmosphere. The egg soup he makes in the evening of Goldmans and Keeleys coming together is really terrible:) And his clothes are another factor that make audience laugh. He does not wear shoes, trousers...However at that night, he has to:) As a result, there occurs funny moments:)

The sentences this servant uses are also interesting.. Fr example, he says /klatS/. Even though I am not sure its spelling, I assume that it is "clash". Because, after the movie, I looked at the dictionary and I could not any word similar to that pronounciation. Therefore, I thought that it was "clash". Another thing which drew my attention in his speech was the word "wattamalanes". It is very satrange, is not it? As far as I understood, he is a Spanish.I have been taking Spanish course and his accent is similar to my Spanish instuctor. By considering that, I looked at the Spanish dictionary, but I could not find its meaning. One of his sentence was strange for me. He said: "A manager is on phone. He's got to talk to you." The usage of "have got to" is not so common, therefore, hearing it first time after so much time has passed is strange for me.

In the movie, the speeches which were very easy to understand belonged to Arman. here, I want to add that he is so much sweet:) The sentence which I still can remember is this one:


--You cannot stand sharing your boy with me.
Arman is a lovely person and he loves Albert's son very much. He is as if Val's mother and spend much effort for the happiness of him. While watching these scenes, I got sad. Also when Arman learns that Val has taken the decision of marriage, he says:
"A baby is going to leave us and we do not have others."
So nice is not it:) This shows how much importance he gives to Val and how much sensitive he is.
You should really watch it. While having funny moments, you also look at the stereotype ideas of society with a criticising perspective.

No comments: