2007/11/03

CAN THE MAGNIFICANT HANDS OF A PIANIST PLAY A SONG OF WORLD TRAGEDY?

...firstly, the language used was not simple to understand for me. Therefore, I watched some parts second even third times:) there are some nuances between the prounciation of vowels. While he is saying "heard", he pronounces it as "hırd" not as /h3rd/, "because" as /bıkoz/...Nevertheless, the thing that I was sure from the beginning was this is a wonderful film. Actually, this is the second time I have watched it. And again, and again I was amazed. This one of those films where you leave the theater feeling horrified but enlightened, depressed but exuberant, appalled by the depth to which human nature can sink and yet deeply moved by the triumphs it can achieve. Therefore, I cannot forget the name of Roman Polanski, the director of The Pianist. It tells the true story of a Polish pianist and songwriter Wladislaw, who barely survived the Nazi occupation of Warsaw during World War II and lost all his family and most of his friends to the death camps.
The first screen of the film is amazing. The story begins on September 23, 1939. On this day, Wladislaw was interrupted by German bombs while playing Chopin’s song( it is very familiar with me, but I could not remember its name.) As the bombs drew closer, he at first continued playing, but soon the station itself was targeted and he and his colleagues were forced to evacuate. The first thing that drew my attention is at that moment, the radio station was silenced for the duration of the war. Also, subsequent horrors was endured by Wladislaw, his family, and the entire Jewish community of Warsaw. Beginning with the simple but ever more outrageous restrictions placed on them by the occupying German army (like wearing the Star of David emblems on their arms). It was followed by the segregation of Jews from the rest of the population by the establishment of the infamous Warsaw Ghetto( sth like that I am not sure, because the pronounciation of the word is not familiar with me).

Early on Wladyslaw's father viciously slapped by a Nazi appeared on the scene. And the most direful thing was Warsaw residents passed by the injured old man paying him no notice. After seeing that, I thought if it was an acceptance of the Nazis' anti-Semitism or simple self-preservation, the Poles' knowledge of what would have happened to them if they had attempted to intervene? Shortly after, ghetto Jews attempting to carry on their everyday business while the corpses of those who have died of starvation littered the streets. It's impossible to resolve my feelings about those scenes whether I was watching insensitiveness or some sort of a determination that life, even this stunted life, should continue? I learned the answer of that question when I watched the Jewish policemen who, to ensure their own survival, worked for the Nazis keeping order in the ghetto.

The scenes after these moments are the ones I will not be able to forget in my life. They were terrible. I witnessed any kind of things which can be regarded as violent, disgusting, horrible. The first one that comes to my mind is random and seemingly arbitrary executions of Jews. And these were not for logical reasons but for any number of offenses!!! Second thing that comes to my mind is the pathetic attempts by the Jews to figh back against their oppressors, and finally the liquidation of the ghetto as the Jews were transported en masse to the concentration camps in boxcars. It’s still hard to believe that what I’m writing actually occurred within my grandparents’ lifetimes that humans could be so cruel to each other and commit such disgusting acts against fellow humans. Nevertheless, I want to add that the director accomplished a perfect work. The depiction is eloquent, touching and it gives the impession that the event told in thet movie happned Polanski’s depiction is eloquent, touching, and staggeringly real enough that we make no mistake: it really happened 62 years ago.
While watching this movie, from the beginning to the end my eyes were in tears. Although the language( Scottish English) was a bit diffucult to understand, any way I understood the value of life, the value of having humanistic feelings and the importance of giving value to every creature in the world once more.

No comments: